Group Cloud Computing
|Promoted by CESGA
|Utility computing (also known as on demand computing) refers to the packaging of computing resources, such as computing and storage, similar to public services (electricity, water, gas, telephone), for commercial exploitation. Through this technology, the service provider is able to offer a machine on demand to potential customers. This solution means a reduction in the cost of acquisition of technology, greater flexibility in cost (high or low depending on market), increased efficiency and increased competitiveness for the customer. Today there are emerging business solutions, based on such technology, offered by companies like Amazon (Simple Storage Solution--S3) and Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) – Beta), GOOGLE (Google Apps), or for the CERN scientists subscribers. Market studies show that companies dedicated to utility computing will replace the IT departments in the same way that electrical installations were replaced by the private power generation plants operated by power companies in the early twentieth century, although it is still early to tell strongly. The Utility Computing and Cloud Computing, although they are not a new idea, today is likely to take off as a technology solution because:
- The apparition of virtual machines and virtual machine managers in medium and low ranges of computers.
- The availability of bandwidth and latency for the transmission with enough quality of images generated remotely allowing the relocation of the ability of a computer where the energy is lower.
- The immediate obsolescence of the home computers that creates difficulties in the management of waste.
- The increase in energy costs and the adaptation of IT infrastructures.
The objective of the working group is to explore the possibilities of the Utility Computing or Cloud Computing in Galicia, both in its implementation as a business, and especially in its application to the domestic market where there are additional difficulties, and many opportunities. Thus, the working group has as targets:
- Analyze the current solutions of Utility Computing or Cloud Computing and their potential evolution in the future as well as their actual implementation (marketing opportunities) to the corporate market and home.
- Analyze and detect the use of scenarios Utility Computing or Cloud Computing at:
- The business environment
- The home environment
- In mobile environments
- Identify future needs for these scenarios and possibilities of contribution to this environment from companies in Galicia
- Analyze and define strategies for the integration of Utility Computing with:
- Mobile phones
- Digital Home
- Digital Television
- The leisure and culture devices (cameras, MP3/MP4, camcorders, printers, etc.)
- Analyzing the impact on communications networks and other infrastructure related to Cloud Computing and define strategies and necessary developments for this new environment.
- Find immediate application scenarios at the national and international markets: government, education, health, SMEs, etc... As well as new business opportunities.
- Analyze legal and billing issues for this business model.
Compromiso Tecnológico Software Factory
|Grupo de Arquitectura de Computadores
Grupo de Tecnologías de la Información (GTI)
Instituto de Investigaciones Tecnológicas (IIT, USC)
Laboratorio de sistemas (USC)